This looks awesome, so I'm reposting!
Ithaca's first annual Food Justice Summit will mobilize the community for food sovereignty and to raise funds to support food justice projects, specifically Ithaca Community Harvest and the work of GreenStar to create a system of regional food sustainability that promotes health, equity, and community control of essential resources.
The event includes a walk-a-thon in the morning and block party celebration in the afternoon. Walk up to 5 miles around Ithaca visiting neighborhood and school gardens, then end at the bock party where the streets will be closed in the Northside neighborhood to celebrate with live music, a local organic BBQ, guest speakers, youth activities and much more. Make a donation or pledge to support GreenStar's walk-a-thon team at a GreenStar register.
Where: Walk-a-Thon begins at The Space, 700 W. Buffalo St.; block party at First and Hancock Sts., Ithaca
When: Saturday, October 22, 10am - 6pm
Check out the event schedule:
- 9am - Walk-a-Thon registration opens. If you have not yet registered for the Walk-a-Thon, please come to The Space (700 West Buffalo Street, at the corner of Court Street and 13) between 9 and 10am. Those that have already registered may show up closer to 10 for check-in.
- 10am - Walk begins at The Space (700 West Buffalo Street, at the corner of Court Street and 13). Please arrive 15 minutes early to check-in, get a t-shirt and a route map. Early registration and check-in's available starting at 9am for walkers who plan to walk at a leisurely pace and want to start early.
- 12pm - Block Party begins (streets are closed in the Northside neighborhood for live music, local organic BBQ, speakers, workshops, vendors, youth activities and more)
- 1pm - Performance by the talented youth of the Community Unity Music Education Program (CUMEP). Enjoy ABC Groove, Beautiful Colors, All of Us and more! Come celebrate our emerging community leaders and enjoy singing and dancing that will warm your heart!
- 1:45 - Asya
- 2pm - Keynote speaker: Malik Yakini, Chairman of the Detroit Black Community Food Security Network
- 2:45 - Iron Chef Junior Competition
- 3pm - Tribute to the Bernie Milton Band
- 4pm - Trece and Earnest Verb
- 5pm - Thousands of One
- 6pm - Finale